Friday, January 13, 2012

A bad start into the new lampworking year

This was my last set of beads, made in early december last year.....it has been 6 weeks now since I made a decent bead *snif*
First there was to much stress related to the holidays: baking, christmas related stuff, etc, then came our holiday at the in-laws in Germany for one week. I spent the end of the last year and start of the new year in bed with a mean cold.
Finally I decided I felt good enough to make some beads, but then :HORROR! The computer controller of my kiln refused to work!!! Now I do have an old chili pepper kiln from before they were sold with digital controllers. Mine had the old "hand" control and a good friend who is a computer engineer and major nerd, built me a computer control out of an old regular computer. He wrote a fantastic controlling programm that allows me to run both my bead annealer and my fusing kiln. But now after more than 7 years of loyal services, the computer would not work any more. After some long distance diagnosis( he lives nearly 700 kilometres from us) he said he would have to make me a new hard disk with the program and send it back to me.
Yesterday the hard disk arrived , my husband installed it and the kiln works again.
I am totally happy, sit down at my table and start the oxycon, but all he does is call for "service"....
I am close to a heart attack!!! I call the company and they laugh at me because my beloved oxycon is past his 10th birthday and has 36.782 working hours on his back ( ...no its not all beading hours ;-).... he worked at an hospital first and then at a koi pond, before he came to me in winter 2003...)
There is no way to get him repaired...
I do have a backup oxycon which is only 3 years old, I bought it last year from a medical supply. Now one could think everything is fine: just hook up the new oxycon and voilà!
BUT...this new guy is a lot stronger than my old beloved and I feel like a beginner.
I melted 2 mandrels in the first half hour I worked yesterday, something that never happened in all the years before, my beads get wonky again because the heat is much higher now,the effects with the silver glasses don't work anymore, the flame is totally different *sigh*
I am feeling sad and depressed :-(

2 comments:

Penny said...

Sorry to hear that you have had all of these setbacks Maryse!! I am sure that things will turn around and your will be on a roll in no time!!! Take care,
Penny

GlassBeadArt said...

Thank you Penny, I appreciate your good wishes !